The beautiful island of Kea
is one of the highlights of the various sailing vacations in the Cyclades
and in the Saronic
, due to its proximity to Athens. Likewise also Kythnos can be included in a Saronic itinerary, possibly crossing from Hydra, or - less adventurous - via Cape Sounion and Kea.
Besides Athens you can also visit Kea from Lavrion (south tip of Attica), Poros and the Cycladic islands of Syros and Paros. All these ports serve as yacht charter bases.
Types of sailing vacations
- Bareboats or self-sail, without a crew or skipper to assist you on board. You will have all responsibility, yet total freedom and privacy. Nearly all regular yachts can be rented out as bareboats: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey, Bavaria, Beneteau Oceanis, Ocean Star, Lagoon, Athena, etc.
- Assisted bareboat chartering is primarily organized in the south Ionian where the conditions are more suitable for beginners than in the Cyclades. The best charter base to try this blend between a bareboat and a flotilla is Lefkas. More freedom and responsibility than in a regular flotilla fleet.
- Flotillas are typically organized in the Ionian, Argolic and Saronic near Athens. Quite often the northern Cyclades islands of Kea and Kythnos will be included in the itineraries if weather allows. The lead crew will be assisting you all the way from port to port.
- Skippered charters, a regular bareboat yacht or catamaran with added skipper.
- Fully crewed charters offer in addition to the skipper/captain also other crew members such as hostesses, cooks, deckhands, etc. Guides or dive instructors are also possible.
- Motor sailers or gulets are the traditional wooden vessels of the east Mediterranean and are used for the famous blue cruises or blue voyages in Turkey. The Greek equivalent is often called a caique.
- Super yachts or mega yachts come in all sizes and are either sail yachts or motor yachts, which are even more comfortable than the motorsailers. Because of the more powerful engines, these megayachts will allow you to visit more islands in the same charter period.
- RYA or ASA sailing instruction and lessons can be taken the Saronic, the northern Cyclades as the Ionian. On mile building trips, Kea is often the first stepping stone into the Aegean Sea.
The usual sailing vacation is 7 days/1 week, but two weeks is absolutely recommended: in twice the amount of time you will see three times as much.
Sometimes 10 days is possible too. Generally, the more luxury, the more options possible. For example, the luxurious mega yacht can be rented by the day. For more details visit the charter guide
Although it is viable to sail in Greece
all year round, the vast majority of tourists will be visiting in July and August. Yet, May and June as well as September might be more ideal for a sailing vacation. Not only does Greece have to cope with less tourists during these months, a Meltemi storm is also less likely.
The water temperatures
- for snorkelling and swimming - are only ideal after April/May!
.: Back to Kea sailing vacations:.